hi i’m jess! i write poems, short stories, and share my thoughts on life with others, enjoy!
a black non binary queer individual’s journey to self-ascertainment
- guest blogger: Na’vehToday we have a guest post from fellow blogger Na’veh who’s blog @thebloggingsofv is full of through provoking poetry and art that challenges and stimulates the mind of its reader on a regular basis. The poem below is one that I related to on a spiritual level as loneliness and mundanity seemContinue reading “guest blogger: Na’veh”
- 5 ways to Protect Your Peace — H.O.E.I stumbled across this blog today and this post could not have been better timed. Kaillaby wrote an extensive post on the best ways to protect your peace and I appreciated every word that she laid out on her blog. Sometimes as women we spend so much time worrying about others andContinue reading “5 ways to Protect Your Peace — H.O.E.”
- guiltyDerek Chauvin, the murderer of George Floyd, has been found guilty of unintentional second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter as of 5:30 p.m. today. When I heard the news, I released an audible sigh of relief. I watched a video on Twitter where a group of protesters changed a sign thatContinue reading “guilty”
- random poetry #211/18/2017 *trigger warning: mention of sexual assault Dear God, I just have a couple questions for you, some things that I’ve had on my mind. Answer me this, why is it that in your own book it says, “seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you.”Continue reading “random poetry #2”
- my favorite book: TFOS“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars I went out for coffee with a new friend theContinue reading “my favorite book: TFOS”
- random poetryI have decided to add a new blog segment called random poetry (that name is a work in progress). I’m just going to be going through old journals and pulling out old poetry and writing a little blurb about what the poem is about. I think it will be a fun lookContinue reading “random poetry”
- wordless wednesday
- soul work: self loveI had a hard time coming up with what I wanted to write for this post. Like some of the other posts on my blog, this topic came at the request of my professor. The problem is, while I have been trying very hard recently to connect with myself and my soulContinue reading “soul work: self love”
- having a reactive dogSo I recently discovered through TikTok that Joplin is considered a reactive dog. It sounds a lot scarier than it actually is, it just means that he has a tendency to overreact to certain triggers. I had a suspicion of this as Joplin often barks at other dogs on leash, animals outsideContinue reading “having a reactive dog”
what to expect….
There is something so tantalizing about the ability to create worlds, and connect with thousands of people between pages of writing. I really just enjoy analyzing literature and digging into the pages, trying to communicate and understand the characters and the authors themselves.
I really enjoy expressing my self through words. Sometimes that’s the only way I can express myself. This is where my verbal art will be stored, poems, stories, word vomits, all of it. I will also keep my wordless Wednesday’s here because I think it will offer some nice juxtaposition to all the words.
I have spent the past year as an elementary librarian and middle school english teacher. I firmly believe I have learned more from these kids than they have taught me and i will be sharing my classroom hijinks and lessons here with you all.
I want to share my journey and my experiences as a feminine presenting African American queer individual in modern day America. I will discuss politics, lifestyle differences, challenges, things I have learned and just little thoughts and conversations that I believe are worth having and hearing.
I went from being an aggressive cat lover who “might get a dog one day if my partner wants one” to being a mother of 2 year old dog and cat and I wouldn’t change it for the world. I will be sharing not just what I have learned but all the antics and hilarity that ensues when being a pet parent.
I hope you find relatable, and enjoyable content here. Stay awhile, read my work and offer your insight, learn from my own journey, and find yourself amidst the words.